Newslinks for Thursday 12/29/11: Santorum surges but Paul still favorite to win IowaPosted on 12/29/2011
VOTE in our end-December survey: Who do you want to be the GOP nominee? Do you agree with Gingrich that Ron Paul is too extreme? Do you think the GOP will win the Senate? VOTE NOW.
Ron Paul has a 56% chance of winning Iowa - Nate Silver
BUT FOR MEDIA FOCUS... IT'S SANTORUM'S TURN
Romney and Santorum surge as Iowa caucuses near - Washington Post
- "At the start of the month, Rick Santorum needed the following things to happen in order for him to be competitive in Iowa: Newt Gingrich needed to fade. Evangelicals needed to move toward his campaign. Then voters needed to see some tangible sign of momentum, in order to speed up the tortoise-like pace of his Iowa campaign. The former Pennsylvania senator has now gotten at least a dose of all three ingredients." - Politico
- ""All of a sudden, Rick Santorum looks an awful lot like Mike Huckabee," said Craig Robinson, a former state GOP official who now runs TheIowaRepublican.com, a political website." - Quoted by the WSJ
- "Santorum can put himself in position to be the Mike Huckabee of 2012, giving social conservatives and Tea Partiers a more responsible protest vote against the inevitability of Romney than Paul would provide." - Commentary
- A case for Rick Santorum is republished at NRO
Byron Yorke explains why Santorum's support may grow over coming days - Washington Examiner
VIDEO: Rick Santorum campaign video touts support of Palin, Beck and Huckabee
Rick Santorum says he'd cast vote for Ron Paul after taking 'a lot of antacid' - The Hill
The GOP's TOP priority is STOP PAUL - TIME
- Jon Huntsman says Ron Paul is 'unelectable' - LA Times
- There is a Ron Paul vote which has little to do with Ron Paul and Romney needs to address their concerns about the size of government - Daniel Henninger in the Wall Street Journal
- A penchant for conspriacy theories has been the constant theme of Ron Paul's time in politics - James Kirchick in the New York Times
- Ron Paul praises OWS - Weekly Standard
Bachmann Iowa Chair Endorses Ron Paul - American Spectator | NPR
Ron Paul Salutes Veterans, Says He Plans to Bring the Troops Home - ABC
Marching orders for Paul’s volunteers: Do Shave, Don’t Tweet - New York Times
Two very different women endorse Romney...
- Ann Coulter: Only Romney is right on the two big issues: Repealing ObamaCare and Stopping Illegal Immigration - TownHall | PowerLine
- Elizabeth Dole endorses Mitt Romney - USA Today
"The key to wrapping up a nomination quickly has always been an Iowa-New Hampshire one-two punch, and the Granite State, which votes Jan. 10, seems to be a Romney fortress" - E J Dionne in the Washington Post
Gingrich uses Bolton, Forbes and Reagan to bolster ebbing campaign
- Newt Gingrich says, he’d look to people like John Bolton and Steve Forbes to fill his cabinet - WSJ
- "Tax reforms to maximize economic growth, a sound dollar, and smarter regulations will touch off another historic boom" - New Gingrich urges Republicans to follow Reagan in this Wall Street Journal OpEd
- On Trail, Gingrich strains to show Nice-Guy side - New York Times
- Gingrich campaign says it raised about $9M in fourth quarter - MSNBC
- Gingrich wins Art Laffer's backing - NRO
- RCP still has Newt 2.6% ahead nationwide but most recent polls have him tied with Mitt.
Corporate money poured into his nonprofit after Gingrich became pro-drilling and anti-cap-and-trade - Washington Post
What Iowans are getting in the mail...
"CBS News and National Journal collected an assortment of flyers sent to Iowans last week, many of them revealing that the other candidates were focused on chipping away at Newt Gingrich's standing in the polls."
Obama's approval numbers sink downwards again... according to PowerLine...
...but they still look better at RCP
Obama may lose gay voters to Gary Johnson in 2012 - Daily Caller
In 12 predictions for 2012 Karl Rove predicts Republicans will win control of the Senate and keep the House - WSJ | At USA Today read Cal Thomas and Bob Beckel's predictions for 2012
In 2008 49% of new voters registering were Democrats and only 25% were Republican; now it's 32% Democrat and 34% Republican - Wall Street Journal
The Obama administration is poised to announce the sale of nearly $30 billion worth of F-15 fighter jets to Saudi Arabia - Politico
Rising National Debt is Obama's biggest foreign policy failure - Will Inboden for Shadow Government
Many say Shia Iran and Sunni al-Qaeda can’t work together. They are wrong - Clifford May at NRO
John Stossel: Too many Americans still want free lunch
"I fear that much of the country is in agreement with the Wall Street protestors who love free stuff from government -- free health care, free college education, free lunch. Elderly Americans want no cuts to Medicare. Even after the Solyndra scandal, 62 percent of Americans say America should continue to invest in clean-energy jobs. Don’t they think about what that money would be producing if left in the hands of free, entrepreneurial individuals? No." - John Stossel for Fox
And finally... If Romney, Perry, Gingrich and Cain could be any superhero they'd be Superman, Santorum - Mr Incredible, Cain - Spiderman... WATCH THE VIDEO!
> CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO CONSERVATIVEHOME'S DAILY EMAIL AND GET ALL THE MOST IMPORTANT GOP NEWS BY 7:00AM EST EVERY WEEKDAY.