Newslinks for Monday November 28, 2011Posted on 11/28/2011
Losing the payroll tax holiday could cost the average family $1,000 in new taxes, according to President Obama, but Republicans are beginning to question the holiday’s stimulative effect on the economy
"“The payroll tax holiday has not stimulated job creation,” said Senator Jon Kyl while on “Fox News Sunday.” “We don’t think that’s a good way to do it.” Congress has until the end of the year to extend the payroll tax holiday. If it fails to act businesses will likely increase the amount of money that is taken out of your paycheck to pay for Social Security taxes." - ABC
...BUT Pat Toomey is more optimistic - Politico
- "When [Meet the Press] host David Gregory asked whether the Senate would agree on an extension of the holiday, which expires at year’s end, Schumer played pundit. “It’s hard to believe the Republicans would oppose this,” he said. “They’ve spent so much time fighting to preserve the Bush tax cuts for the millionaires, it’s hard to believe they wouldn’t want to preserve a tax cut for the middle class.” - NRO
Americans Elect has raised $22 million in order to place a third presidential candidate on the ballot in every state next year - Washington Post
> The Americans Elect website.
"Long excluded from the Republican presidential debates, former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson is now seriously considering a third party run for president in 2012." - Daily Caller
New Hampshire Union Leader's endorsement of Gingrich
"In a 354-word, front-page editorial Sunday, the New Hampshire Union Leader finally did what no Republican presidential candidate has yet been able to accomplish: make the case against Mitt Romney... In an apparent allusion to Romney, the publisher acknowledged that Gingrich is not “perfect” but explained: “We would rather back someone with whom we may sometimes disagree than one who tells us what he thinks we want to hear.” - Politico
- GOP candidates react to endorsement - Union Leader
- Bachmann brushes aside New Hampshire Union Leader Endorsement of Gingrich - MSNBC
- Union Leader Endorsement Anoints Gingrich as the Right’s “Not Romney” - Commentary
- Newspaper’s Endorsement Has Been Leading Indicator in New Hampshire - Nate Silver
- The American Spectator examines when the Union Leader's endorsement has made a difference and when it has not.
- Clinton versus Gingrich Again - David Frum
Current New Hampshire polling
"Despite the endorsement, Gingrich is unlikely to place first in New Hampshire, where Romney has been campaigning aggressively for years among the socially moderate voters in a state where he took 41 percent to Gingrich’s 14 percent in a recent Suffolk University/7 News poll." - The Hill
- RealClearPolitics has Romney an average 18.3% ahead in New Hampshire
Gingrich defends position on immigration
"Speaking to an overflow crowd here this weekend, Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich did not back down from his call for a "path to legality" for illegal immigrants who have lived in the United States for 25 years or more and who have established family and community ties. The former speaker of the House also scolded his GOP rivals for calling his proposal amnesty." - CBS
Gingrich and Boehner's difficult relationship - Roll Call
- “He’s the real deal,” Mitt Romney says of his late father, George, with whom he had a strong bond. And the father’s influence on his son is profound — except for the elder Romney’s moderate Republicanism - Washington Post
- "Despite Romney's almost flawless campaign, his impressive organisation, his five years of campaigning and his impressive debate performance, he has yet to claw himself above the national-poll threshold of 25 percent support on a consistent basis." - Toby Harnden
- Mitt Romney's "peculiar" temper - TNR
David Frum: In the Republican race, it’s Romney, Huntsman or bust - National Post
"Members of the Republican money machine that powered presidential elections from their time as “Rangers” for George W. Bush are betting almost entirely on Mitt Romney, but a large majority has so far sat out of the 2012 race altogether." - Washington Times
Herman Cain on Sunday reiterated that he opposes all forms of abortion - Washington Wire
Legal Insurrection is unimpressed with Politico's role in the allegations against Herman Cain.
Voters trust Republicans over Democrats on the all-important issue of the economy by 48-37% - PowerLine
BUT more voters blame GOP for supercommittee failure: "Dig beneath the surface of Gallup’s new poll showing that 55 percent of Americans blame both parties for the failure of the supercommittee, and you’ll see the remaining breakdown leans decidedly against the GOP: 24 percent say Republicans were to blame, while 15 percent point the finger at Democrats. Among independent voters the split is even starker: 21 percent say the GOP was to blame, while just 9 percent say Democrats were the primary problem." - Daily Beast
Should President Obama be re-named Candidate Obama?
"When President Barack Obama jets to Scranton, Pa., Wednesday to promote his jobs package, he'll log his 56th event in a presidential battleground state this year, putting him well ahead of President George W. Bush's record-breaking swing-state travel in 2003." - Wall Street Journal
...BUT reports the New York Times, conservative groups have spent $13 million attacking Obama in last six months... "Total television advertising spending on the 2012 election cycle could top $3 billion, up from $2.1 billion four years ago fueled in part by the rise of independent groups that can raise and spend unlimited amounts of money on campaigns."
Privatize the nation’s mail delivery - George Will for the Washington Post
Taxing the rich could raise $1 trillion - Paul Krugman in the New York Times
- ‘Spreading the Wealth’ message was a disadvantage for Democrats but may now work in their favor - New York Times
- But, notes Thomas B Edsall for the New York Times, there is little economic coherence to the Obama/ Democratic coalition of voters
A 'Barack's Best Friend' dog lead is on sale in the Obama2012 shop - Fox
> CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO CONSERVATIVEHOME'S DAILY EMAIL AND GET ALL THE MOST IMPORTANT GOP NEWS BY 7:00AM EST EVERY WEEKDAY.